Vulnerability Analysis from an external and/or internal perspective
The vast connectivity of IT infrastructure in companies bears various risks. Particularly IT systems with internet exposure are constantly subjected to attack attempts, most of which are executed in an automated and randomized manner. However, IT system security of the internal network is also at risk. Threats can include anything from internal perpetrators or external intruders to malware infections.
The vulnerability analysis provides you with an extensive security vulnerability assessment of all your IT systems that are accessible within a defined area. In contrast to risk-based procedures (penetration test), the focus is on the comprehensiveness of the assessment. The assessment is based on automated scans using specific software. In a next step, the scan results are subject to manual risk analyses and evaluations. Critical vulnerabilities may be verified via direct attack attempts. In more complex IT environments the assessment is generally performed by two auditors.
- Enumeration (recording) of accessible external and/or internal IT systems and services
- Automated vulnerability scan with specific software tools
- Manual analysis and evaluation of results to identify attackable vulnerabilities and security gaps
- Manual verification of detected security vulnerabilities via direct attacks
(where sensible and upon consultation)
- Further aspects may be included in the assessment such as: separation of the LAN from external networks with several positions of trust (WAN connection of company branches, WAN connection of external partners, etc.), security aspects of the internal network segmentation (VLAN, etc.), quality of the system administration (patch management, password management, etc.)
Test and attack scenarios will be discussed with the system supervisor during the assessment and may be adjusted if required.
As a result of the analysis, you will not only receive a description and risk assessment of any identified security vulnerabilities but also a comprehensive evaluation of the quality of your system and network management. A catalogue detailing prioritized counter-measures and specific solutions for all identified vulnerabilities is an additional integral part of the final report.