assessment of client system
Client systems (such as PCs, notebooks, smartphones) are common IT user "tools" and play an important role within a comprehensive security concept. Security risks are not only posed by a user's unauthorized system manipulation but also by targeted attack attempts (spear phishing, drive-by-infections, etc.) that users and their systems are subjected to more and more frequently.
Client systems can thereby be exploited by malware (e.g. Trojan Horses) and used as a gateway into the internal network. Mobile client systems (notebooks, smartphones, etc.) are particularly at risk. Loss, theft or destruction of such systems put the data saved on the systems in direct danger. Additional threats arise from the use of mobile clients in - from an IT security perspective - untrustworthy areas (hotels, airports, etc.) where attacks could e.g. be launched via the WLAN connection.
It is therefore recommended to carry out a dedicated assessment of client systems. The respective assessments are split into two areas:
The client security assessment focuses on the perspective of potential attackers (targeted and untargeted attacks) as well as the perspective of the user (unauthorized administration, maloperation).
- Technical analysis of the security functions of the operating system and the installed applications (penetration test)
- Attempt to extend local rights
- Assessment of security relevant configurations of the operating system (in accordance with “compliance guides”) and the installed applications, such as Internet Explorer (e.g. security zones, active contents like Flash and Java), Microsoft Office and other security relevant and/or security critical applications.
The client management assessment involves the inclusion of client systems into security relevant concepts and processes.
- Analysis of the provisioning process for stationary or mobile client systems (staging process, provisioning, deprovisioning, etc.)
- Analysis of the updating processes for client systems (patch management, software rollout)
- Analysis of security support processes for end devices (malware protection, response to detected attacks, etc.)
- Analysis of superordinate management processes (interface between role and rights management and HR administration, password reset, etc.)
As a result of the assessment you will receive a detailed security evaluation of the actual state of your client systems from both a technical and organizational perspective, including recommendations of measures in case of security deficiencies.